

Notice of Regular Meeting and Agenda Amended

July 8, 2020 • 6:00 P.M. Via ZOOM conference:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZctc-mgpz8oG9dF4f8dSF481cB1Ojk-YsGR

- Attendees: Emily Glick, Robert Sakai, Mary Ishisaki, Jerry Ono, Kathy Nelsen, Kim Kolbe, Rob Malone, Chip Nakamura
- Absent: Steve Ishii, Dennis Kern, Alex Prouty, Daniel Byron
- Staff: Grace Horikiri, Brandon Quan, Melissa Bailey
- **Guests:** Yuki Nishimura, Dmitri Shimolin, Mr. and Mrs. Miura, Alice Kawahatsu, Greg Viloria, Steve Nakajo, Sandy Mori, Sam Mihara, Rich Hashimoto, Glynis Nakahara

1. Call to order and roll call

2. Approval of Minutes

A. June 10, 2020 JCBD Board Meeting (action item)Motion: Robert Sakai; Second: Kim KolbeThe motion passed unanimously.

3. Financial Report

A. June Financial Report (action item)

Motion: Chip Nakamura; Second: Jerry Ono

The motion passed unanimously.

Mary Ishisaki: Looking at budget to actual variance report, it shows we have come within \$1,881.00 of being on budget. This is the variance on the net income. This is going to look ok because we received \$6500.00 after close of business on June 30th for the Japantown Task Force mini grant program. We also have \$5000 due from Japantown Merchants Association and \$7500 from Japan Center Malls for the website. We have \$3500 due from BigBelly also. If these payments had come in before June 30th, we would be in the clear, but now we have this to add into the 2021 budget. We also have extra funds left over from the year before, so we are looking ok. We have planned into the new budget a way to pay for the camera maintenance, but we need to look into ways to raise this money in the coming years. We have a 6 month approved budget, and we will look again to see if we need to switch to Version 2, however going into this year we are looking ok. Grace Horikiri: FY2021 Assessment Roles were submitted, and no parcels changed in the JCBD district nor was the assessment raised. This was sent in to OEWD. B. Block by Block Amended Contract (action item)

Motion: Robert Sakai; Second: Mary Ishisaki

The motion passed unanimously.

Grace Horikiri: The new contract reflects the Minimum Compensation Ordinance in San Francisco that took effect on July 1st. This is an increase in minimum wage to \$18.25/hr. At the recent CBD consortium meeting, it was questioned whether contractors like Block by Block need to comply with the for profit rate or the nonprofit \$16.50/hr rate. We found out that the for profit rate applies, therefore the contract will go from \$144,165.31 to \$151,249.74 annually. This is a \$7084.43 difference. We have banked 264 hours as of May 11th which comes out to \$5146.53, making the difference \$1937.90. Because of this I think it will work out ok.

4. Japantown CBD SafeCity Program

A. Progress report from AVS

Dmitri Shimolin: No changes to the financial report. We have not had any billable events or installations. Since the last board meeting, we have submitted a design and proposal for Phase 5 expansion to 1900 Sutter and it is under review. This is following a Zoom call and an onsite assessment. We have also submitted a design and proposal to the SuperMira building right before this board meeting. I hope to have updates on both at the next meeting.

B. June Video Retrieval Requests/Activities

Brandon Quan: We had 4 requests for video, 3 from SFPD (2 regarding RIFSF looting and one for the fire in the stairwell at 1700 Post), and the public request came from the RIFSF building. That's all we had this month. I have been in communication with the community members regarding the safety alerts, and we had about 10 incidents in that category. This is more so we know what's going on, and we share this information through a Safety Alert. In total 14 incidents in Japantown that we reviewed this month.

Emily Glick: Have we been able to track data regarding auto break ins and broken glass?

Brandon Quan: The ambassadors inform me when they find glass and I do share this information in the safety alerts. I don't try to make a definitive determination but I share the info.

Emily Glick: Question from Alice Kawahatsu on the fireworks in the Peace Plaza. Can you comment on that?

Brandon Quan: The night of July 4th, Grace and I logged into remote access and saw a group in the Peace Plaza shooting fireworks off. From what I could tell today I didn't see any damage. We were on the phone night of with SFPD, Rec and Park, and 311 but no one ever showed up. Rec and Park dispatch sounded overwhelmed and let me know they were responding to multiple events across the city. In advance of this, I corresponded with SFPD a week before because the community reported hearing fireworks close to the Peace Plaza. I had a call with Lt. Haney who said that it's almost impossible to tackle because people move on before officers can respond. This issue was multiplied on July 4th. Grace observed the next day that the individuals cleaned up after themselves and put their trash near the Big Bellys.

5. JCBD Internal Marketing & Communication Updates

Emily Glick: We had a productive meeting today with LGPR. We have decided it would be mutually beneficial to dovetail the PR meetings with the Marketing Committee to streamline planning and implementation and allow the PR team to provide advice on different projects to generate better publicity. Kudos to the JCBD team and others for the work going into supporting small businesses and getting them the information they need for funding, etc. Today's meeting was about how to support in the here and now, especially businesses that don't have websites and social media expertise. However, we also need to start working on the long-term projects and getting things in the pipeline, such as wayfinding and signage, when activities are more permitted under the law. We've put off the banner project given low foot traffic and budget concerns. There is a lot we can do at zero cost. We have a meeting next week to establish an action plan for our initiatives and how we'll refocus in the next few months coming out of the COVID response.

Grace Horikiri: The Marketing Committee also includes Greg Viloria of Japan Center Malls, Rich Hashimoto of Japantown Merchants Association, Alice Kawahatsu and Nina Bazan-Sakamoto of Japantown Task Force. It is a group effort and we're hoping to bring in ideas as well as help each other out.

6. The Heart of Jtown Resiliency Fund Update

Grace Horikiri: Total funds raised thus far \$503,350. We have surpassed our goal. The first phase of the fundraising is to purchase PPE for a total of \$20,000, at the request of the donor. We have already sent out a request to the small businesses asking how many sneeze guards are needed so we can put in the order by Friday and get it to them within the next week and a half. We are waiting to hear from the angel donor who gave us \$480,000 on how much they feel can be put towards administrative costs keeping this fund organized.

Melissa Bailey: The second phase will be a mini grant program for for profit small businesses in Japantown. We have established specific criteria and guidelines for applicants based on the Japantown Task Force mini grant program through OEWD. We will be awarding through an application process. Each business can request up to \$5000. A committee (Grace Horikiri, Melissa Bailey, Rich Hashimoto) will review applications and distribute funds based on need. We have asked applicants to tell us how much they have received in other funding to date in order to establish need. Emily Glick: Can the Board or Officers be made aware of the decisions in case we get questions from applicants?

4

Grace Horikiri: We were advised by counsel that the Board should not participate in the selection process due to conflict of interest concerns.

Emily Glick: Do we have more funding for a reserve in case there is a second wave of demand for PPE?

Grace Horikiri: We can take a look at this and see what funding we can put to the side. We can also reimburse for sneeze guards or order some extra just in case this happens.

Mary Ishisaki: When will the applications be available to the merchants? Melissa Bailey: The goal to open the program is July 10th.

7. Emergency Housing Shelter-in-Place (SIP) Hotel Program

Robert Sakai: Just to put this on the record, no one in JCBD was consulted on this item or involved in its implementation. We learned about it when Grace was informed, and subsequently Eric Moulton and Emily Glick hosted an informational meeting about the program. This was attended by many community leaders. We are now in a position of watching the program. I am encouraged by the presentation, it seems like it will address a lot of the issues that have come up. I think the hotel is willing to address our concerns as a community and organization. The Officers reviewed, and feel it is best to take a "wait and see" approach to this matter. The program has been in effect for a number of days and seems to be going according to plan. I have heard it has been not noticed, which is I think the point of the program. It is a place where people can be protected and not disruptive to the community.

8. Executive Director Report

A. Update on COVID-19 Efforts

Grace Horikiri: Greg Viloria and myself still continue our check ins with the merchants. The SF Japantown Foundation Community Fund has gone live. There is a GoFundMe page. Please share and encourage your friends and family to donate. This program focuses on nonprofits and arts and culture organizations. The grant application will be available soon, and the deadline is August 2020. The Picnic in the Plaza put together by JCCCNC and JMA will take place on July 18th-September 27th from 11:30am to 8pm on weekends. They have done a lot of outreach to the restaurants already and they're very excited about this program. JCCCNC and JMA will also be taking care of the clean and safe logistics. The Heart of Jtown website is also regularly updated.

B. OEWD Reporting: FY 19-20 Annual Report & Financial StatementGrace Horikiri: At the end of July I have to put together an annual report for the fiscal year. Since we do a mid-year report a lot of the information is carried over.Once I have the draft finalized we will share with the Officers and Board for review.

9. Staff Updates

A. Cleaning and Safety Report

Brandon Quan: Things are holding steady overall in Cleaning. There are more needles and graffiti, but less biohazard. We have had more hospitality requests this past month, hopefully this means there are more people around who are interacting with the ambassadors. They have been doing a great job, and AI our operations manager has been doing an outstanding job for Japantown. For crime, we are seeing pretty stable reporting. I added locations (closest intersection) for each crime that took place just to expand on the map data. Numbers were added to show the types of events and where they took place. All of you are also receiving the Safety Alerts I am hoping to make more robust with the information I get. For example, I can put information about auto glass that is reported. It would be good to relay this back to the community to keep them informed. I also share these alerts with Supervisor Preston's office and SFPD. The new Northern Station captain will be starting soon and I will share these with him as well. Dep. Chief Lazar also follow up on these alerts with me when he receives them. I am also working more directly with property owners to handle the situations they've been dealing with. Grace Horikiri: We're trying to schedule a walkthrough with Capt. Yip (new Northern captain) and Marcus Santiago of Rec and Park, as well as Capt. Betz from SFFD. This will likely be the first time we get all of the agencies together with us for a walkthrough. They've also requested camera footage from us a few times, for example the Hemlock fire. This will be a good opportunity to show them the camera locations so they know they can call on us. This Friday's SFPD Advisory Forum meeting will include Dep. Chief Lazar and Chief Scott.

B. Grant Opportunities

Melissa Bailey: The AARP grant is still pending, we are hoping to hear by the end of the month. We also received an email that we are following up on regarding a grant with Sutter Dignity Health.

10. Community Updates

A. Japantown Task Force

Steve Nakajo: A written report was submitted for the Board Packet. Sandy Mori will also speak. We are still in the process of going into the final phase of the CHHESS report. We are targeting a special board meeting at the end of July (the 27th). We will be submitting the report to the Board of Supervisors in the early week of August. Out of the 7 cultural districts, Japantown may be the first to submit. We are also going through budget negotiations for the first year of implementation and what recommendations from the CHHESS report can be worked on. We also have the responsibilities of the other JTF committees to fulfill.

Sandy Mori: Thank you to those who submitted a letter of support to the Board of Supervisors for the Peace Plaza Renovation Project. This project is shovel ready, which means it has gone through the full input process with the community and Rec and Park to make the design a reality. On June 24th, the budget committee of the Board of Supervisors. The Peace Plaza is a park that is part of the Rec and Park

department. Our project is within the Health and Recovery Act Bond because parks are related to quality of life and mental health. They voted to support the package for \$438 million. After this, City Hall had discussions about increasing the bond to a higher level. Then the Budget Committee had to consider an amendment to the original bond to add more money, making the total \$487 million. This was discussed today and members of the community made public comment. The amendment to increase was supported. The hard part now of the whole process is that 2/3rds vote is required for it to pass, it is not just a simple majority. We will be part of the campaign to support the Health and Recovery Bond. We have a lot of work to do prior to November because this campaign will include a lot of recovery efforts for the present crisis. Another piece of information is the creation of the Ad Hoc Japan Center Malls Technical Committee. This will be made up of 10 people with expertise in development, real estate, law, and negotiations to help us figure out a strategy for the overall malls. In May 2021, the 3D Covenant expires. 3D has officially shared that they are not going to sell and will continue to keep their parcels, East and West Malls. There are also several other owners within the mall area. 3D has been under covenant for the past 14 years, so they're aware of what guidelines and designs are supposed to be maintained, and we need to expand this to the other owners. We are also not clear what Kinokuniya wants to do, which owns another large parcel of the malls. They are in the process of figuring out what they want to do.

Mary Ishisaki: Since the budget committee approved the increase, does it now go to the full board or is it automatically on the ballot?

Sandy Mori: It goes to the full board twice, the final one on July 21st.

Mary Ishisaki: So we could theoretically send in more support letters up until that time?

Sandy Mori: Yes, we'd welcome more. We have had over 310 letters go in so far. We also had 20 something people testify under public comment.

Emily Glick: Has 3D shared any preliminary indication of their intended plans and does that include condos or other similar expansions?

Sandy Mori: No, I don't think so given everything that's going on. Even the whole idea of retail is changing. Any developer can look at that and think maybe retail won't cut it. There are going to be different ways of looking at things we aren't aware of yet.

11. Discussion and possible action items for future meetings

Emily Glick: I would like to include the mon streetlamps and their repair in a future meeting. I am interested in how JCBD and others in the community can improve upon that situation and who can help fund this so we can be looking sharp when people return to the community.

Grace Horikiri: Brandon and Al have been mapping out which lamps are broken. From there we can send out a notice to the property owners. Rich Hashimoto shared costs he provided to Hotel Kabuki in the past, and Brandon is getting ahold of that vendor to get the updated costs so we can share that with property owners. Emily Glick: We have also brought up the possibility of a board retreat. As soon as Shelter in Place and other restrictions lift and we're able to meet in person we can plan out a 2-3 hour meeting with vision for the future, new committees, and ways we can take action in additional initiatives, and how we'll move the mission forward in the coming fiscal year. However we will remain flexible and respond accordingly to the pandemic situation.

12. General public comment*

Sam Mihara: Just a quick update. We were bothered by the look of the plywood covering all the windows so we look for a way to decorate it. We hired artist Taiko Fujimura who created some sketches approved by the building tenants and went through 5 iterations before settling on a final design. All the tenants agree the theme makes it more attractive and it makes a lot of sense. She should be finished by the next meeting and so far it's going well. Thanks to Grace for setting it up. Emily Glick: Is this something we could reproduce on other businesses? Sam Mihara: Yes but the limitation is time since she has regular employment. Grace Horikiri: Yes, we have other artists we can reach out to as well. Mr. Miura (translated by Yuki Nishimura): He is noticing more homeless population in the general area and that is a point of concern for him at this time. He has also

been noticing a lot of broken glass, and noticed the increase in cameras. He would like to know what happens or if there's follow up once the crime is reported to the police.

Brandon Quan: We have to rely on the person who owns the property, for example a car, to report it. There is a disconnect between the reporting and the amount of glass clean ups, we noted more clean ups than there were requests from SFPD. We are still trying to resolve following up on what happens after an arrest is made. SFPD doesn't seem to have a mechanism or database to find out what happens on a larger pool basis. They seem to do better on a case by case basis, but don't seem to have the resources to follow up on every incident.

Robert Sakai: One of the main benefits of the cameras are giving police incentive to investigate crimes. The cameras produce evidence to solve these crimes so they're willing to contact us. However, at this point trying to get them to follow up with us after the fact has not been satisfactory. We hope in the future that will happen, but for now the main benefit lies in aiding them in solving crimes that happen in the neighborhood.

Brandon Quan: Grace and I had a meeting with the DA a few months back and we asked about going to them for information. He was open to the idea however we still don't know if there's a mechanism to track or identify arrests once they become a case within the DA's office. I'll try to follow up on this.

13. Adjournment (action item)

Motion: Robert Sakai; Second: Mary Ishisaki

The motion passed unanimously. The meeting adjourned at 7:30pm.

Next JCBD Board Meeting: Wednesday, August 12, 6:00 P.M. at the National Japanese American Citizens League Headquarters Building (1765 Sutter St., San Francisco, CA 94115). Should the Shelter in Place Order be extended, board meeting will be conducted on ZOOM and login information will be included in the agenda.

*General Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Board for up to two minutes with respect to each item on the agenda, and may speak up to two minutes regarding matters not on the agenda during general public comment.

Meeting materials distributed to the JCBD Board members are available for inspection and copying during regular office hours at the Japanese American Citizens League Building, 1765 Sutter Street, 2nd Floor, prior to the meetings.